• About Me

American Girl Party {McKenna}

My sweet Snowflake turned 11 last month! I can hardly believe she is already 11. She got McKenna, an American Girl Doll, for Christmas. She was the doll of the year for 2012. Snowflake had really wanted her and was really excited! She decided to have a McKenna themed 11th birthday party. Today I’m going to show you our American Girl Party complete with the McKenna Movie and a few other details, too.
Easy and fun American Girl party with a McKenna (2012 doll of the year) theme. #BirthdayParty #AmericanGirlDoll #McKenna
This is our bar/pass through area all set up and ready for the party to begin.

Snowflake wanted this party to be pretty low key. She wanted time to hang out with her friends, watch the McKenna movie, play her favorite game (Apples to Apples) and do one craft. She was hoping for a slumber party, but that didn’t end up working out. Let me show you what I did for her. This was the easiest party I have thrown for one of my girls in quite some time.
I used the idea of drinking from mason jars again for this party. To make these glasses, you just use a mason jar. The purple polka dot paper on the top is a cupcake liner. I also found the cute paper straws at Target! I love the look of them, but haven’t been able to find them inexpensively locally. I just happened to find them. They were the perfect color for the theme. The girls thought that drinking from paper straws was weird. Oh well…they looked really cute.
As you can see above, I ordered this McKenna Movie kit from Amazon. That is why this was the most simple party I have done in a long time. It came with invitations along with all kinds of other goodies. It came with these cute popcorn bowls and the ‘Critic’s Choice’ cards. I was surprised the girls actually wanted to fill them out. They were all feverishly writing at the end of the movie to jot down their favorite part, it was cute.
Snowflake hadn’t seen McKenna’s movieyet. We had it recorded on our Tivo from last summer when it was on T.V., but still hadn’t watched it. Turns out our recording was during a thunderstorm and it didn’t work very well. Thank goodness for Amazon instant video to our Tivo. For $2.99 the party was saved and we could continue watching the movie. Whew! Glad for modern technology!
Snowflake requested strawberry cupcakes with vanilla frosting. Since we had a star theme going on, I added star sprinkles to the top. We used our same cupcake stand that we bought for Pumpkins American Girl (Felicity) party last year.
One more picture of the cute mason jars. I realized, after getting the whole bar set, that the cover I had sewn for Pumpkin’s party would be the same color to use for this party. Snowflake approved, so we added the bar/pass through cover to fancy up the bar a little bit(and to cover up the ugly).
I cut out what felt like a million stars. It really was in inexpensive decoration and way to add a little something to the party. I bought 20 sheets of 4 different colors of paper (2 different shades of green and 2 shades of purple). I used my Cricut to cut the stars out in different sizes. I used some of the stars on the favor bags along with some of the stickers that came in the party kit.
I filled the bags with a few things (I kept that pretty simple and minimal this year as well). Snowflake really wanted the lipstick pens for everybody. We added a hair extension and some hair elastics. Then, since McKenna is a gymnast, I made a hula hoop and a rhythmic gymnastic ribbon for each girl’s doll. I’ll show you the tutorial for those another time. They were really cute and my girls have had fun playing with the ones I made for them.
I couldn’t leave the living room undecorated. I used the stars in here as well. I simply taped them onto the yarn, then used my scrapbook adhesive to add a second star. It was the same process as the Doily Streamer I showed you for Pumpkin’s party.
I made the ‘Happy Birthday” banner using the stars as well. I added letters I cut from plain white cardstock to spell out Happy Birthday. I used yarn to string it all together. You can see a tutorial in my post about the Doily Happy Birthday Banner. We thought it turned out very cute and looks very much like the theme of McKenna. Our cat liked the decorations, too! I had a hard time keeping them up before and even during the party!
Snowflake had requested to do a craft. I ordered the McKenna Hair Accessory Kitfrom Amazon. The girls each got to make a hair accessory in the star theme, of course.
Finally, Snowflake really wanted to play her favorite game with her friends. One of her birthday presents was this adorable set from American Girl. It is the sleepover accessories set. It comes with an Apples to Apples game for the dolls along with drinks, popcorn and doll sized magazines. It is too cute! While the girls were playing Apples to Apples, the dolls got to play their own game, too! I think McKenna won…hehe!
Snowflake had a fantastic 11th birthday party! I enjoyed it, too! I didn’t work like a crazy woman to get it ready and was able to enjoy some time with the girls. Maybe the girls getting older is a nice thing…maybe!;-)

© 2011-2013 The Real Thing with the Coake Family.  ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.

Don’t miss a post! Follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram, or Google +

I link up with these great link parties and at My Repurposed Life, Between Naps on the Porch, The Scoop, and Savvy Southern Style.

See our full policies and disclosure statement.

© 2011-2014 The Real Thing with the Coake Family. All Rights Reserved.

• Dara - February 22, 2013 - 3:16 pm

I love Apples to Apples! looks like a great party!ReplyCancel

• K Coake - February 23, 2013 - 2:18 am

Thanks, Dara! I’m working on ‘loving’ Apples to Apples. So far it isn’t my favorite, but Snowflake loves it, so since I play it a lot with her, it is growing on me. Though I say that and I realize it is kind of fun trying to convince the ‘judge’ that your card is the best. :-)

• Angie@Echoes of Laughter - February 23, 2013 - 1:17 am

Such a great party KC! My daughter loved her American Girl when she was younger. Now she’s 16 and her doll is packed away! Wishing you a wonderful weekend! Angie xoReplyCancel

• K Coake - February 23, 2013 - 2:36 am

Thank you! It seems like it will be sad when my girls reach that age…but I guess it is the next phase and seems right at the time.
      I hope you have a wonderful weekend as well.

• Marie bloominghomestead - February 23, 2013 - 2:01 am

Looks like so much fun! I know so many girls who would love this. :)
    Would love to have you link up to my party on tuesday.
    -MarieReplyCancel

• Ruthie Armstrong - February 24, 2013 - 2:31 am

How fun for a little girls, I remember when mine were all about their dolls… such fun times! Thanks so much for coming to party at Super Saturday Show & Tell :) I hope you’ll come again next week. xoxo~ RuthieReplyCancel

• K Coake - February 24, 2013 - 10:20 pm

Thanks, Ruthie! Thanks for hosting as well.
      Have a great week.

• Holly Lefevre (504 Main) - February 24, 2013 - 8:22 am

McKenna is very popular in our house and this party is amazing! So cute!ReplyCancel

• K Coake - February 24, 2013 - 10:23 pm

Ah…she is so popular with my daughter and so many others. Thanks for the sweet comment.

• Charlene@APinchofJoy - February 25, 2013 - 2:44 am

What a fun party — love the star banner!ReplyCancel

• Shanee @ LivingLifeSouthernStyle - February 25, 2013 - 4:52 pm

Adorable party! Love the mason jars with colorful straws and cupcake liners. I miss the days of American Girl, my baby girl is about to turn 17 :( Thanks for sharing. Visting from BNOP.ReplyCancel

• Cinthya Travis - February 25, 2013 - 8:17 pm

I don’t have any little girls but I can definitely take some of the decoration ideas with me for my three little boys bday parties. Everything looks so awesome!ReplyCancel

• KC Coake - February 27, 2013 - 2:50 am

I’m glad you could get some ideas for you little boys parties! I bet some of these ideas would work really well for them, too.
      Thanks so much,

• Hillary - February 25, 2013 - 9:41 pm

This is so fabulous! I remember having an American Girl party years ago- I’m so glad to know girls today still love the dolls as much as I did :)

• KC Coake - February 27, 2013 - 2:50 am

Thank you! My girls are all about AG dolls these days…I may live in AG land…lol!

• Cheryl Kirkness - February 26, 2013 - 3:14 am

What a beautiful party! You can see that you put a lot of thought into every detail. Well done! :)ReplyCancel

• Cathy Trochelman - February 26, 2013 - 3:18 am

Wow! A little girl’s dream – what a special party you put together!!ReplyCancel

• K Coake - February 27, 2013 - 2:22 am

Thank you! That is sweet of you to say.

• happydays525 - February 26, 2013 - 4:33 am

Very awesome party!!ReplyCancel

• Isabelle Thornton - February 26, 2013 - 5:37 am

LOL SO cute!
    I would love if you link this wonderful post to my party. It is open until Easter and I will Feature as we go on Facebook and Pinterest. XO
    Isabelle

• Jedi Craft Girl - February 26, 2013 - 6:06 am

Everything looks so darling. I am sure all the girls had a wonderful time!ReplyCancel

• My Doll Best Friend - February 26, 2013 - 12:22 pm

Fab! I’ve pinned your photos to my Doll Parties board http://pinterest.com/mydollbf/ReplyCancel

• Lisa - February 26, 2013 - 1:49 pm

Oh how I miss the American Girl doll days of my daugher! Everything is just precious, and looks like such fun! Hope you can stop by the enchanted oven.
    xo,
    LisaReplyCancel

• K Coake - February 27, 2013 - 2:38 am

Thank you! I’m sure I will really miss these days when they are gone, too. They are soo fun.
      Take care,

• Tracy Cook - February 26, 2013 - 7:22 pm

Simply perfect. I so wish girls aged 11 here in UK played with dolls sadly they dontReplyCancel

• KC Coake - February 27, 2013 - 2:52 am

Thanks! Really, 11 year olds don’t play with dolls there? That is surprising. What kinds of things are they into?
      Take care,

• Aimee Lane - February 27, 2013 - 2:52 pm

Super cute!!! My little almost 11 year old would have LOVED to be there! XO, AimeeReplyCancel

• Nici @ Posed Perfection - February 28, 2013 - 1:09 am

Oh, my goodness! This looks like so much fun! What little girl wouldn’t love a party like this? Thanks for sharing!
    Blessings,
    NiciReplyCancel

• KC Coake - March 9, 2013 - 3:32 pm

Thank you, Nici! The girls sure did have fun.
      Take care,

• Brenda - February 28, 2013 - 1:14 am

So fun!! Love every last adorable detail, KC! ;*)ReplyCancel

• April - February 28, 2013 - 1:58 am

SO cute! And how cute is a mini Apples to Apples game?! I might have to get that for my niece.ReplyCancel

• KC Coake - March 9, 2013 - 3:40 pm

Isn’t the mini Apple to Apples game adorable? It even has stuff printed on the other side, just like the real game. Too cute!
      Take care,

• The Fischer Family - February 28, 2013 - 5:24 pm

How adorable! We took our daughter to the American Girl store in Chicago this past November for her 8th birthday and she chose McKenna. She had been drooling over her all year and was so excited to get her hands on her! She would love this party! She’ll be 9 this year and if she’s still into McKenna in November the way she is now this a go! Thanks for sharing! Pinning onto my For Brianna board on Pinterest! :-)ReplyCancel

• KC Coake - March 9, 2013 - 3:47 pm

Oh, how fun! I bet she is really loving having McKenna after waiting for her so long. My 11 year old, Snowflake, is LOVING having McKenna. She got her at Christmas. She just got the bar and beam set for her birthday. It was backordered, so she had to wait all this time!
      Take care,

• Paula - February 28, 2013 - 6:47 pm

Oh my gosh! What a fun and cute idea! We’d love for you to share this at our party! http://www.housewivesofriverton.com/2013/02/riverton-housewives-round-up-54.htmlReplyCancel

• Bonny @ thedomesticatedprincess.com - March 1, 2013 - 2:53 pm

So cute! My daughter is only 2 1/2, so she doesn’t have an American Girl doll yet, but she loves the ones our older neighbor girls have, so I know the time will come. I’m pinning this for when she’s older.ReplyCancel

• KC Coake - March 9, 2013 - 3:54 pm

Thanks! Yes, your time will come…start saving now…hehe!
      Take care,

• Carrie @ My Favorite Finds - March 1, 2013 - 11:37 pm

I saw this come up on my Google+ feed, and thought it was super cute! I’m pinning this. Please come share at our Pinworthy Projects party. http://myfavefinds.com/pinworthy-projects-party-2/ReplyCancel

• Jamie - March 26, 2013 - 5:12 pm

OMG- My daughter is having a McKenna bday party this weekend, and I was hunting around for some last minute ideas. The party you hosted was ADORABLE! Nice job.ReplyCancel

• KC Coake - March 27, 2013 - 2:02 am

Thank you! I hope you and your daughter have a fantastic party this weekend!
      KCReplyCancel

• […] while ago, when I shared with you my oldest daughter’s McKenna American Girl birthday party, I told you I would show you how I made the gymnastic hoops we gave as favors for the girls who […]ReplyCancel

Your email is never published or shared. Required fields are marked *

S u b s c r i b e