• About Me

American Girl Doll Patterns {Sleeping Bag Pattern}

Are you ready for another American Girl Doll craft? Today I’ve got American Girl Doll Patterns for you to make a sleeping bag(and a few other things if you want to) for your doll.
American Girl Doll patterns ~ Sleeping bag pattern for an American Girl Doll. Easy to make! #AmericanGirlDoll #Sewing #Pattern
This past weekend we went camping with our Girl Scout troop. I thought before we left, our dolls needed a sleeping bag so they could go camping in our absence. The dolls went camping in the wilds of our playroom, while we were at camp with our Girl Scout troop.
I searched for a free pattern for a sleeping bag. The one that I found that I liked the best had a zipper, which I really liked the idea of, but never having sewn a zipper before, I didn’t want to deal with it this time. I finally settled on a pattern from Schoolhouse Patterns. The pattern was $7. It is a pdf download and includes patterns to make the sleeping bag, pillow, pillowcase, and pajamas. You can see the pattern or purchase it on Etsy: Sleeping Bag Pattern. (I am not affiliated with Schoolhouse Patterns in any way….just writing about what I bought and made.)
The pattern from Schoolhouse Patterns was very easy to follow and the direction were well written. I won’t go through the tutorial or how to make this here because, if you decide to make this sleeping bag, it is all in the pattern.
I added one thing to the pattern. In step 6 under Getting Started, the pattern tells you to stitch your seam allowance in place. I thought it was a perfect opportunity to add a little something to the sleeping bag. I added rick rack to Pumpkin’s sleeping bag and grosgrain ribbon to Snowflake’s during this step. It worked perfectly and I love the little added extra it adds to the sleeping bags.
I was a little concerned about making these and sewing all the layers and such and so on, but it all went together very easily. This was a pretty simple and quick sewing project.
The pattern calls for 1/4″ wide elastic, to use at the bottom and allows you to roll up the sleeping bag. I had 1/2″ on hand so that is what I used. it definitely looks more bulky, but It works fine and was better for my wallet.:-)
The sleeping bag easily folds in half and rolls up just like a real sleeping bag.
The sleeping bags all completed and ready for some doll fun!
I think the sleeping bags look really cute all rolled up. The only draw back to rolling them up….they get really wrinkly. They are sleeping bags so I shouldn’t care and really don’t, but the wrinkles don’t look as nice for taking pictures.;-)
We set up our kid sized tent in our back yard before our camping trip and let the girls and their dolls’ have some fun ‘camping.”
Put out a tent and doll sized sleeping bags in the backyard and guess what happens? Dolls just start appearing! I’m not sure how they heard about our doll camping trip, but there they were. Then their pets joined the fun, too. Felicity and Chocolate Chip were the first to arrive.
Samantha found her sleeping bag next. Both girls were already in the pajamas ready for a slumber party. I guess they forgot that this was a Girl Scout camping trip and forgot the Girl Scout Uniforms I made them. Hummph!;-)
Their pets came to join the fun and keep them company.
After a campfire and some s’mores, it was time to sleep. Coconut kept a good look out for Samantha.
While I normally prefer to find free patterns, I really wanted to make sleeping bags for my girls and their dolls. The pattern I found was simple and easy to follow with no zipper, so that makes the $7 worth it to me. My girls are really happy with their sleeping bags and that makes this Mom happy, too!
Have you sewn a zipper? Is it hard or not really too bad?
More American Girl fun, just for you!
Free doll clothes pattern to sew a reversible skirt for your American Girl doll from #Realcoake

Sewing American Girl Reversible Wrap Skirts

My friend Chiriga and I got together a few times to

19 Fun American Girl Crafts

I’ve done so many American Girl craft posts and

American Girl Crafts ~ How to make a gymnastic hoop for your 18

American Girl Crafts {Gymnastic Hoop}

A while ago, when I shared with you my oldest

Free Doll Clothes Pattern ~ Easter Reversible Skirt

I’ve been doing some simple sewing for Easter

American Girl Craft {Valentine Mailboxes}

I’m super excited to share with you

Don’t miss a post! Click to follow me:

I link up with these great link parties and at My Repurposed Life, Between Naps on the Porch, The Scoop, and Savvy Southern Style.

See our full policies and disclosure statement.

© 2011-2014 The Real Thing with the Coake Family. All Rights Reserved.

• the cul-de-sac - May 1, 2013 - 12:56 pm

My girls are so into their AG dolls right now — they would love these sleeping bags. Just pinned your project for future reference!ReplyCancel

• KC Coake - May 3, 2013 - 3:23 am

I bet they would love sleeping bags. My girls have so much fun with their dolls. It is fun to make things to add to the fun.
      KCReplyCancel

• melissa @ DaisyMaeBelle - May 1, 2013 - 5:12 pm

Super cute! I bet your girls love those! Life to the full! MelissaReplyCancel

• Bess - May 1, 2013 - 7:33 pm
  • Alexandra DK - May 2, 2013 - 11:39 am

I love the sleeping bag! I think I will make some along with the bedding for my daughter’s birthday! Thanks.ReplyCancel

• KC Coake - May 3, 2013 - 3:47 am

Thanks! That sounds fun…will you make them matching? My girls would LOVE that.
      Take care,
      KCReplyCancel

• Shannah @ Just Us Four - May 2, 2013 - 7:32 pm

These are so adorable. My little girl wants an American Girl doll so badly. Love the idea of a sleeping bag for the doll.ReplyCancel

• KC Coake - May 3, 2013 - 3:56 am

Thank you! If you decide to get an AG doll…they are a lot of fun! My girls have a lot of fun with theirs and play very imaginatively with them. It is really nice.
      Take care,
      KCReplyCancel

• Brenda @ Chatting Over Chocolate - May 4, 2013 - 3:47 am

So fun and absolutely adorable!! :)ReplyCancel

• Emily Thompson - May 4, 2013 - 12:48 pm

very cute! I made my niece some american girl doll clothes for her birthday. Pinning to make this in the future :o) Emily @ Nap-timecreations.comReplyCancel

• KC Coake - May 4, 2013 - 4:30 pm

Thanks! I bet your niece would have fun with this. We have fun making things for our dolls.
      Take care,
      KCReplyCancel

• Midnight Cowgirl - May 5, 2013 - 1:16 am

What a great idea!ReplyCancel

• Stephanie Pass - May 5, 2013 - 9:11 am

That is adorable!!ReplyCancel

• Chelsea@getyourcraptogether - May 5, 2013 - 2:16 pm

How cute is that! What a great idea. Now to make a matching one for the girls! Thanks for sharing! I’d love for you to check out our Pattern Party! Those with free patterns and templates to share are invited to link up!ReplyCancel

• KC Coake - May 6, 2013 - 1:19 am

Thank you! I’m too chicken to sew for big people. Sewing for dolls…no problem…big people, not yet. I’m sure my girls would love it if I made them matching sleeping bags, but it won’t be happening anytime soon.
      Thanks for your cute comments.
      KCReplyCancel

• Diana - FreeStyleMama - May 6, 2013 - 1:19 am

How fun!!!ReplyCancel

• KC Coake - May 6, 2013 - 1:22 am

Yes, they are! My girls have had lots of fun with them already. Gotta love that.
      KCReplyCancel

• Ana Lopes - May 7, 2013 - 9:05 pm

So lovely! Love American doll so gorgeous!
    Have a great week!
    Hugs from Portugal,

Ana Love Craft

ReplyCancel

• KC Coake - May 7, 2013 - 11:27 pm

Thank you! I hope you have a great week as well.
      KCReplyCancel

• Marie bloominghomestead - May 13, 2013 - 2:44 pm

Totally pinning this. I really need to get my sewing machine fixed!ReplyCancel

• KC Coake - May 14, 2013 - 1:49 am

Thanks for the pin, Marie! Mine was broken for what felt like forever. I finally got it fixed and now I can’t imagine how I made it that long without it. I hope you get yours fixed and have fun with it soon.
      KCReplyCancel

• Anonymous - May 17, 2013 - 7:03 pm

Great idea. I can make them for L and M as a gift. They are so cute. Maybe you could make yourself a “cute sleeping bag”, perhaps you would like to camp more readily!!!! C3ReplyCancel

• KC Coake - May 18, 2013 - 3:10 am

Yeah, you could make them for L and M. I bet they would like them. I doubt it would make me want to camp more, but maybe! ;-) Thanks, Mom!
      KCReplyCancel

• […] to School Backpacks {American Girl Doll Pattern} American Girl Doll Patterns {Sleeping Bag Pattern} Free Doll Patterns ~ Reversible Tote Bag American Girl Doll Bedding […]ReplyCancel

• […] American Girl Doll Patterns {Sleeping Bag Pattern} from The Real Thing with the Coake Family […]ReplyCancel

• Laura Martin Volpe - July 8, 2014 - 2:46 am

We made these for my daughter’s sleepover – what a hit! Thank you for the inspiration!ReplyCancel

Your email is never published or shared. Required fields are marked *